Today the Wisconsin State Journal tells us “Think big to tame college costs”. Rarely has an editorial sported a dumber headline.
To combat the ever-rising cost of college, the editorial urges everybody to think big. And then It goes on to offer a list of plainly piddling, inconsequential ideas, which must have seemed like outside-the-box thinking to the WSJ editorial board:
- Students, take some classes on-line.
- Don’t pick one of those “prestige” institutions.
- Professors, put your classes on-line. (See bullet point 1 again)
- Offer 3-year bachelor degrees! (Why not 2-year or 1-year?) (Six-week graduate degrees?)
- Colleges, universities, eliminate unnecessary degree programs. (Sheesh, colleges, put on your thinking caps! You should’ve thought of that yourselves.)
- And the final solution, don’t go to college!